HTC Explorer is a great budget android phone equipped with a lot of candy features, not to mention the Sense 3.5 UI. If you want to select your first android touch phone and budget tight then,need not consider any other but the explorer itself. Superb first android phone.It is powered by a 600MHz processor, Adreno 200 GPU, 3.2MP camera and many more. Main disadvantage is this cute little phone has a little bad side-a low 90MB internal memory. It has some pre-installed apps that cannot be removed. So to remove those apps and get some good free memory the only way is to root the mobile.
Rooting an Htc Android mainly involves three steps:
- Unlocking the Boot-loader.
- Installing the Recovery Mode.
- Installing the Super-user as a root.
Before starting this rooting process it is preferred to take the backup of all the data of your phone (app’s, contacts, SMS’s, Calendar data, etc). For this I would like to prefer Super Backup app. Now let’s start the rooting process.
First of all you need to download the Htc Sync which would help us to communicate between the PC and the Device. Download the Htc Sync and then install it in your PC. Now sync all the phone’s data with Htc sync to the PC. One more thing is you need to download the Android SDK for three important files which are mandatory in the rooting process.
Unlocking the phone’s boot-loader:
To unlock the boot-loader you need to go to the Htc Dev site and register for unlocking the boot-loader. In the select the model menu Htc Explorer won’t be listed. So please select All other supported models in that menu. Even for a newbie also it will not be that difficult to follow those instructions for unlocking the boot-loader.
- Remove and reinsert the battery. For devices without a removable battery, long press the power key then select restart.
- Holding the Volume Down key press the Power Button to go into the boot-loader menu.
- In the boot-loader menu use the volume buttons to select up or down.Navigate through the boot menu and highlight Fast-boot and press the Power button.
- Now connect your device to the PC via USB cable.
- Now create a new folder in your compute and copy the following three files to that folder.
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory where you have saved all the above three files.
- In the Command prompt type fastboot oem get_identifier_token and press Enter.
- Wait for a while and you will see a long block of text like this:
- Copy the same highlighted text and paste it in the place provided in the Htc dev site. You will receive a email providing the unlocking token and then follow the remaining steps as mentioned there.
That’s it if you have done this process correctly your phone is unlocked (warranty voided). Next comes the installation of the recovery mode.
Adding a recovery mode allows you to install .zip ROM’s on your device. To get the recovery mode installed in your device follow these steps:
- Download the Recovery.zip from here.
- Extract those files to a folder (C:\Htc).
- Run the recovery.bat file with the phone in the fast-boot mode and then connect your phone to the USB using the data cable.
Done, you have installed the recovery mode with no errors. So, now you can install .zip ROM on your device. When you have installed the recovery mode successfully, when you go to the recovery mode you will see like this:
Note: In the process of installing the recovery mode you may get some installation errors. So you need to the same process many times (twice or thrice) to get it installed.
Rooting your Device:
This is the final stage of rooting your device. If you have done this process correctly that’s you have rooted your Htc device correctly.
- Download the following Superuser.zip file and place it in the SD card of the device.
- Go to the boot-loader menu and there select the recovery mode to go to the recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode use either the Volume Keys to navigate to the SD card.
- Select the Superuser.zip in the menu and press the power button to install as a root.
If you have done these steps correctly you will see on the device screen as “Congrats, you have rooted your phone“.
That’s it you have rooted your Htc Explore successfully.
Here I have provided some Custom ROM’s which supports Htc Explorer mobile.