Hi, these days Motorola XT1068, popularly known as Moto G 2nd Gen is one of the leading phones in India which took over the smartphones market. Here, in this post I will be explaining the process for rooting Motorola XT 1068 and some tweak tools. This whole blog post will be in two parts. The first part consists of how to root Moto G 2nd Gen, the second blog post will contain about the installation of the GravityBox tweak tool, which lets you to tweak your Android.
The second generation Moto G, which we predicted would be called the Moto G2 is easier to find online by searching for its part code: XT1068. The main features of this Moto G2 is a 5 inch display that offers a 1280 x 720 p resolution. The screen is protected using a Corning Gorilla Glass. It is powered by a 1.2 GHz quad core Snapdragon processor along with a 1 GB RAM and an Adreno 305 GPU. The main feature of this is that it contains an external SD card slot which allows the user to expand the memory to further extent.
There are quite a lot of features which you cannot access as a normal user. For those who wants to give a try exploring all the different options, the only way is to root the mobile. 😉
- 5 inch display (1280 x 720p)
- 1.2 GHz quad core processor
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 MSM 8228 Chipset
- Adreno 305 GPU, 450 MHz Single Core
- 1 GB of RAM
- 8GB / 16 GB internal memory
- Micro SD card slot (up to 32 GB)
- 8 MP rear camera with flash
- 2 MP front camera
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat upgradeable to Android L
- 2070 mAh battery
- Dual sim, dual mic and dual speakers.
Rooting Moto G 2nd Gen
Rooting your Android lets you to use the SuperUser permissions which helps you to remove all the unnecessary system applications which come along with the phone by default. Rooting your Android device lets you to side load Custom ROM’s such as CyanogenMod, MiUi etc.
Rooting any Android Device mainly consists of the following steps.
- Unlocking the Boot-Loader
- Flashing Custom Recovery
- Installing Super Su (Super User) as a root
Prerequisites for rooting are as follows
These are the least minimum tools which you require for the rooting your device.
- Installing the minimal adb and fastboot tools. You can download the installation file from here.
- Custom Recovery for flashing the Custom ROM’s. There are two types of recoveries available for this phone. You can install anyone of these two.
- Super SU (Super User), the root apk which needs to be installed from the custom recovery.
Note: The following procedure will void your warranty and you are responsible for any damage to your phone.
Unlocking the Boot-Loader
The first and the foremost thing to be done before you start the process for unlocking the boot loader is to take the backup of all the apps, contacts, messages, calendar and phone logs. This can be done by installing the Super Backup: SMS & Contacts app from the play store. Taking backup is one of the important steps before you start the unlocking process because after you unlock the device it will do a factory wipe out which leaves no trace of any data in your phone. So it is better to take the backup of the all the required data beforehand. J
For unlocking the boot loader you need to register in the Motorola site. Log in with either your Gmail or Motorola ID. After that you can proceed to the next stage of the unlocking your process.
- Put your device in fastboot mode (power off then press the power button and the volume down buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds.)
- Open the minimal adb and fastboot tool which you installed previously on your system. If not please download it and install which is given in the above section.
- When you open the above file you will get a command prompt opened. Now connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- In the command prompt type the following command:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Now you will get a string which will be used to retrieve your unlock key. The string which you get in the command prompt looks somewhat similar to this if you are using a windows system:
(bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 (bootloader) 0000000
On a Mac the string which will be returned in the terminal will be similar to this:
INFO0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230 INFO30373731363031303332323239#BD00 INFO8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 INFO1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 INFO0000000
- Now copy the string from the command prompt to a notepad and then remove the (bootloader) or INFO and the white spaces also. After you remove those the string must look similar to this:
- Now copy the string which you get by removing the white spaces, and paste it in the Motorola site where you logged in. Now paste it in the given box over there and then click on the button below that box.
Note: If your device can be unlocked then click on the REQUEST UNLOCK KEY in the bottom of the page.
- After you click on the REQUEST UNLOCK KEY button, check your mail. You will get a mail from the Motorola with the key in it.
- Now open the minimal adb and fastboot terminal which started before and execute the following command:
fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK_KEY
- Now your device will go for a reboot. That’s it your mobile’s boot loader is unlocked.
Flashing Custom Recovery
The default recovery present in the phone is of no use. So we will have to replace the default recovery with some recovery such as Clockwork Mod or TWRP. For flashing the recovery you need to go the bootloader and from there you need to install the custom recovery.
To go to the bootloader menu directly run the following command in the minimal adb and fastboot command prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
Now the phone will restart and it will be in the fastboot mode. Now in the command prompt run the following command to install the custom recovery.
fastboot flash recovery TWRP2801-titan-motog-2014.img (for Team Win Recovery mod)
fastboot flash recovery CWM_Touch_Titan_v2.img (for Clockwork Recovery mod)
That’s it, now the phone is flashed with the custom recovery which you want.
Installing SuperSU as admin / root
For this copy the SuperSU file to the internal memory and then reboot the phone to the fastboot mode. In the fastboot mode, navigate to the recovery and then you will be taken to the Custom recovery which you installed previously.
In the custom recovery go the INSTALL ZIP option and then select the SuperSU.zip which you placed in the internal SD card. Now click on the install button after selecting the zip file. Let it complete the installation process of the file. Once after it completes reboot the phone.
That’s it, yay, you have rooted your phone. 🙂
Hope that this post helped you. If you have any problem, please do comment below. 🙂